Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

7.3.11

I love this game...

Last year I told you a bit about this game I adore. The game involves family and friends discovering Burkina Faso in funny places and then telling me about it. I am always pleased and amazed. There is no official points system (although some family members turn up a lot more Burkina references than others) and consequently no way of winning. The goal is simply to share funny things about this little country.

So when my parents watched Lords of War and one of the characters says he is going to Burkina Faso they  went up in the 'rankings' for finding Burkina. (Although the only legit competition is my Grandmother - the three of them find Burkina mentioned everywhere!). And when my Dad listened to a program about malaria on CBC that mentioned the problem in Burkina Faso I was equally excited. Just as excited as I was when my mom heard a trivia show ask the capital of Burkina.

But I also love these stories.... Ones where people don't believe that little country exists.

My little brother was a part of a model UN group at school. When the time came for the practice round he heard the kid sitting behind him say "Burkina Faso? Where the heck is Burkina Faso?". My brother promptly turned around and switched cards with him.
The weekend after the real thing he mentioned model UN in class. His professor asked what country he was and the following discussion ensued:
Professor: You were Eritrea? Where even is that?!
Brother: Africa
Professor: There are so many little African countries we've never heard of! For example Burkina Faso! Has anyone ever heard of that! 
Brother: My sister goes there. 
Professor: What?! 
Brother: She works at an orphanage that's north of the capital city of Ouagadougou.
Professor: I was going to accuse you of making that up, but you just said Ouagadougou.

I told my brother I think this puts him on the charts. He might have a bit of catching up to do to have the same score as M&D but he's doing pretty well.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I love that I can win at a sport of any type - even if it doesn't really involve moving!!

Brittany said...

haha. yes these games are definitely your speciality :)