Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

12.4.10

A Likeable Excerpt

“But I am an African,” Derek said.

“If you are an African,” Yoyo said, “tell me the capital city of Burkina Faso.”

“I don’t know, but-”

“It’s Ouagadougou,” Yoyo said, “and if you were African, you would know it.”


from Lawrence Hill’s novel Any Known Blood.


This...

  • is likeable because it mentions Burkina Faso- which doesn't happen often!
  • is funny because usually when Burkina is mentioned it's as a trivia question.
  • makes me smile because finding Burkina Faso represented in literature, radio shows and movies has become a sort of game in which I keep tally and a wonderful assortment of family, friends and the odd random acquaintance provide me with items to score. [Keep it coming- I love it!]


For reference sake finding Burkina Faso mentioned in a mainstream novel gets mad points. Props!

No comments: