Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

3.6.11

Father’s House International Ghana


A week or two ago a friend of mine invited me to go with her to an orphanage. It sounded like fun, but I nearly didn’t go because of other things that were going on. Despite my hesitation I soon found myself walking up the beach towards Father’s House International Ghana. (Do click that link! There's so much information about this awesome organization!).

The children from Father’s House had run ahead of our group and told Jake (one of the in-country directors) that the “white men” were coming. Jake and his wife Chanda didn’t believe them, and were shocked when five white girls showed up at their doorstep. I explained that we were students studying NGOs and they welcomed in for a tour and history of the place.

Father’s House is not an orphanage as we'd understood before arriving. It is rather a home for children rescued from child slavery. Learning this fact was both shocking, and amazing to me, as it ties in very closely to my research project (and issues very dear to my heart). I can’t help but believe God wanted me to be at Father’s House that day.

Father’s House has been a long time in the making, and the ministry has been on the ground for several years. Just this year Father’s House accepted the first 8 boys. From hearing just a little of the story of how constructing Father’s House has been a God-walk, chatting with Jake & Chanda and having a chance to interact with the 8 boys currently housed at Father’s House, my heart has been truly touched.

I had the fantastic opportunity to spend the morning in church with the boys and the directors (affectionately called Mama and Pappa by the boys). I chose to sit in their children’s service, and worship with them, and hear the story of Joseph and the coat of many colours. I was struck by how powerful that story can be for the children of Father’s House.

Monday I spent the afternoon at Father’s house. The boys were busy building things (see the car they built after watching ‘Little rascals’ below. Inside the car is a guitar and laptop.), and Jake & Chanda tell me this is a frequent occurrence. They want the boys to experience childhood and are encouraging them to just be boys. It’s beautiful.

That afternoon when I had a foot race against one of the younger ones, soon I was racing 4 of them across the beach. And after not too long we were all in the sand, digging holes, and burying each other waist deep. I taught the boys to say “What’s up” and “not much” . Jake told me this was fun for the boys, as they’re big Bugs Bunny fans, but have never put together what “What’s up Doc” means.

Chanda and Jake were super supportive of my research and put me in touch with some great resources, in addition to being great resources in and of themselves. Academic standpoint aside it was fantastic getting to know them and to be encouraged by them.

I only spent a few afternoons with Father’s House but I was terribly sad to leave monday when the time came. The boys gathered in a circle around Alessa & I and prayed for our journey before we left. It was a touching moment. I can’t wait to see how God continues to move in and work in the lives of those involved in Father’s House. It’s a fantastic ministry.


Father’s House prayer requests:

Please pray for Father’s House’s continued ministry in Ghana. Pray for them as they continue to minister to the community, and as they fulfil their new role as a refuge for rescued children. Pray for the continued establishment of the home and for everything that remains to be put in place. Pray especially that God would provide God-fearing staff for Father’s House.

2 comments:

Sara said...

AWESOME! So glad you shared this.

Amanda said...

How neat to see your perspective on TFH - love the post! :)