Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

24.6.11

Cup of Coffee

 I know I promised an update over a cup of coffee this summer, but who am I kidding? I can’t wait that long. And we both know I’m always up for a cup coffee regardless of if you’ve been keeping up on my blog or not. So here’s the update.

Tuesday afternoon Alessa and I grabbed a ticket on a trotro and headed back up to the Keta district in the Volta Region. Dzelukope (the town of our homestay) is in the Keta district, as is Tegbi, the town where you’ll find Father’s House. And it’s Father’s House that drew us back here for the week.

I’ve fallen in love with falling into the daily routine here at Father’s House. There’s no time to bored as I find myself busy reading with the boys, cheering them on in soccer games, and chatting with them as they fly kites (or fight kites! Which has lead to me and alessa joking about kite club. hehe). I’ve found ways of communicating with the boys who speak little English, and most of it involves making silly faces and doing silly dances (which might be my favourite thing to do anytime...). One of the boys (Evans) showed me his ‘monkey’ face, and burst into hysterics when I showed him mine.

Yesterday Alessa and I divided the boys into groups of 4 and taught them to use our cameras. I’m not sure whether this project was more fun for me, or for them, but we’ll see who wants to keep it going longer and keep you updated. For now here is a sneak peek of two photos by Jr.



 looking down the well

homework time

2 comments:

kd said...

such a great idea, sharing your cameras!
must have been a hard decision not going back to burkina, ima proud of you for staying in ghana and having this experience. much Love.

Brittany said...

hey khush!
i feel like you would have been awesome at showing the kids how to use the camera...wish i had your expertise. but it was so fun to see the pictures they took.
thanks for the encouragement. much love!