Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

1.5.11

One Love, One Heart, One World

Bob Marley may have introduced you to one love, one heart, but allow me to introduce to the third, missing element: One World. 
All music referencing jokes aside One World Futbol is a fabulous project that I've been eager to introduce to you for a long time! 
one world futbol in hand

A few months ago I became frustrated with the fact that despite the huge numbers of balls trucked in to Sheltering Wings the children are sometimes without a soccer ball to play with. This is because in Burkina, like in many developing nations, the weather and field conditions are intensley harsh on soccer balls designed for play in the western world. Recently, I expressed this frustration to my father, and after a little googling, he sent me a link to One World Futbol. I knew this was it! 

The One World balls are designed for the conditions in developing countries. They are virtually impossible to destroy and consequently can be used on all manner of fields, cement pads or gravel playing areas. They don't require a pump (they self inflate!) so they require no extra care on the part of the child that receives them! They are a perfect example of innovation for the developing world. 

We ordered a case and just a few days later I participated in a youth development conference (IDB) at which they spotlighted One World. I became even more excited about the balls! 
Due to a shipping error (it's boring, or i'd explain) we received not one case of balls but two. After speaking with One World about the error they graciously suggested I hold onto the balls and give them to friends who could distribute them to areas of need. I would have never guessed this shipping mistake would morph into such a fun project. 

Follow the journey of these 24 balls with me as they make their way around the world in the next 4 months. 

1 comment:

Tammy Garrett said...

I'm reading through your blog and it fascinates me how God has orchestrated the details...big ones, like which country you would be traveling to..and small ones, like you taking a One World Futbol to the Father's House when I had been trying to figure out a way to get just ONE of them there for the boys to "try out." What a good, good God we serve!