Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

14.5.11

Akwoamba means Welcome

After 14 hours in the air, a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam (which gave me time to see the city - beautiful & full of hipsters) and many hours on each end at the airport I've finally arrived in Accra.

The first thing you notice about a place is the smell. And for me I noticed the air is thick, humid, hot. That's the first sign I'm a long way from Calgary.
Cesar (our professor) met our 19 person (soon to be 21 person) group at the airport, helped us through all the airport stuff, and got us settled at the hotel.
Cesar has introduced me to most locals by explaining that I go to to Burkina. This introduction has already earned me the nickname (from at least one friend in the police) the nickname "Ouagadougou-woman". As best as I can tell the locals like that I have spent time in Burkina and can say truthfully "I love Africa!".

On the way to the hotel got the amazing opportunity to sit and converse with the sister of one of Cesar's friends. I've found in Burkina that friends with females take longer to develop and are harder to come by, as girls are usually more reserved but also most busy with household tasks. It was so exciting to make a female friend first thing! She's been teaching me some local words (if three words count) and told me before I went to bed for the night that she couldn't wait till we hung out tomorrow and taught eachother more language stuff. I can't wait either!

Other than hanging out with my new friend I expect today will be a bit of a slow day so we have time to adjust. Someone hinted there might be time at the beach though.

No comments: