Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

14.5.11

Lesson do-overs and new things

This morning, as we sat waiting for the rain to finish and for our day to start I felt like I was learning the lesson of patience in the context of African time all over again. “I just thought I’d see Africa (with the implication of Ghana as the part of Africa) before I was expected to be one African time!” I bemoaned. This is learning lessons I thought I already knew over again.

There was a first glimpse of the stark contrast of life in Accra: slums on one side of the road and beautiful homes on the others.

There was the first time I’ve ever exchanged money, in a bus, at the side of the road. When we asked why we were doing it at the side of the road the answer was “he’s here” and when we asked where he was from the answer was “church”. This was enough apparently.

 
 

And then there was the ocean. My first glimpse of the Atlantic ocean! (notice all the fishing boats?)

Then I made a mistake in thinking I could stand on the rocks for a cool shot – and got my first bath from the Atlantic.

And later worried the same fate would come to a beautiful wedding party.
There were some disappointments, like that the girl I assumed to be a friend’s sister turned out not to be and nobody knows who she is really. She never showed up for our language lesson today, and I feel a little silly for being so excited. I haven’t given up though, maybe she’ll come by again.
All in all it was a great first day in Accra.

No comments: