Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

19.5.10

Starting Block

It seems I'd just made it out of the starting gate as far as my time here is concerned and already I've experience a hiccough. I got sick around Monday or Tuesday last week: I tried to keep going at my normal pace and ignore the pain in my stomach. midweek though this grew harder and by Friday I was down below half-speed. Saturday morning when Ferdi came to visit we talked for a few minutes, made a giant floor puzzle and then quietly I told him it was time for him to leave. He was confused, "I don't have anywhere to be" he told me and I told him I needed to rest. By Sunday and Monday of this week every movement took an intense amount of energy. I weighed the amount of energy each action would take (lifting the water bottle to my mouth, walking across the kitchen) with it's necessity before deciding when I would act. The girls and Ruth have been wonderful and took care of me. They're true sisters in Christ.
Yesterday we made the trip into Ouaga to see a doctor at the clinic. We've narrowed things down and are confident on a course of treatment. Fortunately I'd started that treatment (as a best guess..) on Sunday and so even today I am feeling better than I was yesterday. It's going to take some time before I can go at full speed again but I'm encouraged by the fact that I'm on the mend.
At times I've let myself feel being sick this early could be a discouraging. After all there is only so much time here with the kids before school is done and they leave for the summer. I'm missing valuable time with them. But, I have decided not to think that way. One reason being I can't change the fact that I've caught something. The other being, there’s some crazy reason for this.
I've decided on a theory: since I promised you all I wouldn't come home sick this time around I'm just getting this out of my system nice and early.
On our way into Ouagadougou yesterday someone rear-ended us. It has created an unexpected delay, in our return to Yako. We hope the repairs will be finished this afternoon and we can drive back this evening.


Please pray for health and pray for safe travel.
I'm looking forward to being able to update you about something more exciting next time I write...


    No comments: