Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

13.5.10

Skeletons

Abraham asked me the other day if I have ever seen a living skeleton. He didn't mean a malnourished person, but a skeleton that was walking. When I told him I hadn't, he said very seriously that he had. Whether or not he was kidding doesn't bother meit is what happened next was that impressed me.
I said "I would have been so scared! Weren't you scared!?"
He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.
"No," he said casually. "Not scared."
I said. "Why on earth not?"
He put his hand over his heart, lifted his eyes to the sky and pointed to the heavens. Then he smiled at me. "Understand?"
Yes. I understood just fine. It was a little exchange, perhaps based on fiction, but I appreciated it. How had I forgotten the deep faith of a child?
This morning I was in the village doing an impromptu children's outreach with Sarah and three of the children from SW. As I stood with the 150 village children around me I remembered the time when Jesus said "let the little children come to me" and about the verse that says "don't let anyone look down on you because you are young" and I was reminded of God's deep love for his children.
This is what is on my mind today as I have been praying a lot about a serving opportunity (with the village children) that I feel God has put on my heart. There is much to figure out still but I trust things will be revealed in the right time. As I pray about this I have been adjusting back to daily life at the orphanage. It has been good to get into familiar routines of playing with babies and time with the older children. This week has made me excited for what is to come.


    No comments: