Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

1.4.11

Patientez

In Burkina when you are waiting on something, or someone, everyone says "Patientez" (be patient) or "Patientez un peu" (be a little patient). Sometimes I love this. Coming from a culture where I can get (almost) everything right when I need (or want) it, I have discovered something refreshing in needing to wait. Maybe, it is less the waiting I enjoy and more about the attitude with regards to time. In Burkina, time is not constantly something that is fleeting but something that there is always more of, waiting is okay because it's not a thief but a process. 
Sometimes though, waiting is just plain annoying. There are times in Burkina (and oodles in Canada) when I just don't want to wait for something. 

The later sentiment is the one I feel with regards to news about the current events. While I hope for a quick and peaceful resolution I can't begin to venture a guess as to what Burkina needs right now. I am a player in 'the waiting game'. And we all know it's a game nobody likes to play. But I will try to take a lesson from the Burkinabe and patientez. 

No comments: