Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

15.3.10

God's Children

The God character in William P. Young's The Shack speaks of every one of her children being her favourite child. This couldn’t be further from how I feel about the children in Yako; I love each and every one of them in a unique way, and I am especially fond of all of them. I have a place in my heart for each child and special memories of each of them.


I can't begin to introduce them all to you today, but here are two of my favourite children in the world...

Here is eight year old Therese. She would crawl in my lap and call me Mama. I would respond "Mam biiga" (my baby) and we would stroke each other's hair. Therese is a master at tickle fights. She is funny: after picking up some English from one of the older kids she came running up to Liz and me saying “Eat my shoe!”. She broke down in hysterics when we told her what eat my shoe means. Therese is gentle: in my final days in Yako she came to me, aware my heart was breaking, tugged at my hand and whispered “Viens, on va pleurer ensemble” (Come, let’s go cry together). Therese loved to hold my hand and she was ever so patient when I asked her to repeat words in Mooré to me a zillion times. She dances like no one I've ever met! A few of us girls taught her to do the chicken dance, but she still preferred to do her "La connaissance de mon amour" dance in which she would swing her hips, move her feet and sing about knowing her love.



Here is little two and half year old Joseph. He didn’t speak before I came to the orphanage and in the months I was there, through not just the work I put in with him, but the care of the other women and volunteers, he began to grasp the use of language. His first word “Wabo” was to call one of his friends over to play. Soon he would yell my name when I walked out the door each morning and waddle towards me with a giant smile. One day Joseph came to me and said: “Bitty, Wabo”. He pointed at the bikes, gave me his pudgy hand and we walked together. Once there he motioned that he’d like to get on one of the bikes. I pushed him around and then walked back over with him to the other children. Somedays Joseph would take to shushing me when he didn't feel like talking. I would say something to him and he would respond with putting his finger to his lips and saying "SHH!" he would then pretend to be serious for a moment before smiling. Joseph was our little man. He still has a belly from when he was malnourished, but it's adorable because he reminded me of a farmer with his little waddle and his big 'ol belly. He's also an old soul. At the tender age he is you can already tell there's an awful lot going on in his little head.


It is the simple, but beautiful moments, like walking hand in hand with Joseph to the bikes, I remember. Some moments were less ‘glamorous’: potty training, diaper changing, bottle feeding, overseeing curfews and watching over homework or study sessions, but I loved the time I spent with the children just as much.


I want to go back so I can continue to build on these relationships. I want to be there to have lunch with the kids and to check on how homework is going. I want to cuddle babies, clean up barf and bottle feed. I want to celebrate with them when they do well on an exam, attend their soccer matches and see which babies are talking or walking. I want to listen and pray with the children as they tell me what God is doing in their life, and what has made them discouraged this year.

I believe part of the reason God is calling me back to Yako is so I can continue to build into the lives of these children, my sisters and my brothers.


When August comes I will say goodbye to them and remember that in the beauty of it all we are all God’s children. I will surrender these children into the capable hands of my sovereign God and trust in His plan for each of them. And I will look forward to the earthly or heavenly day when I will praise God with them once again.

Together & ensemble.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I tried to find a video of "La Connaissance de mon Amour" to no avail. But what I did find put a smile on my face and hopefully this video of Therese dancing will do the same for you (although I'm afraid it doesn't come close to showcasing her true talent). Joseph runs in and out of the video chasing after a ball. Tenbnoma is the one looking at Therese with admiration and looking adorable herself.




No comments: