Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

31.7.13

Festus

Until this past weekend the last time I saw, or spoke with, Festus was the last weekend of June. The other interns had taken off to Tamale to explore the city, and I took a working weekend in Sandema while waiting to travel down to Kumasi with the moms & babies. On Friday, before the June weekend, I lamented to Festus about being "all alone" in Sandema and told him he should hang out with me to make sure I didn't die of boredom. Of course, I was over-exaggerating, and I expected him to have bigger things to do on the weekend than entertain his SmalleSmalle colleague. So Sunday afternoon when I received a text from him I was pleasantly surprised, and rather excited, to hop on the back of his motorcycle and ride to his home town of Chuchuliga for a visit.  

We spent several hours touring the town, sharing food & drinks with his childhood friends, and laughing about "white people" things. This involved Festus teasing every Ghanaian that couldn't pronounce my name (aka every Ghanaian) and teasing me about my Canadian English by asking me to repeat phrases and waiting to see if anyone could decipher my "rapid fire" speech. When asked about how I like the food in Ghana Festus told his friend that I cook Koko really well & we both laughed at the inside joke: one time I unsuccessfully tried to cook Koko, a local dish of millet, pepper and ginger, that is served warm for breakfast. Though it didn’t turn out as hoped I was determined to eat the globby mess so not to waste food. When I arrived at the office chewing gravol, and mentioned breakfast had made me sick, Festus went into a fit of hysterics.  

After leaving Chuchuliga proper we stopped in to visit his family's home. I met all of his extended family and practiced my Buli with them. Every family house we went to tried to feed me and, when I turned down dinner, I left with a handful of guinea fowl eggs.  Riding home Festus drove the bike through the most pothole-ridden part of the road, and then pulled over. "Your turn" he said as he hopped onto the back and waited for me to start the engine again. I drove through dusk across the dusty roads, listening to Festus guide me as he anticipated potholes and curves in the road, and wound up back in quiet Sandema light up only by moonlight. It was a "this place is beautiful!" kind of days. 

After thanking Festus for an enjoyable afternoon I told him I'd leave for Kumasi in the morning. Knowing he'd be traveling the next week I suggested a "see you when I see you". As I walked away, and he started up his bike, I turned around to add "Festus! Don't get in any accidents okay?!" 
He smiled and shook his head. "Oh. No, no." he said. 
"Okay then," I replied "but drive safe!"  

That was almost four weeks ago.  

This past weekend I stood in the Tamale hospital, with my other colleagues, as we saw Festus for the first time since his motorcycle accident. This accident occurred weeks following the day we went to Chuchuliga, but I still felt sick remembering my last words to him before his accident were "drive safe". We don't fully know what happened, and the exact details of all of this aren't my story to share here. What's certain is motorcycle accidents happen everywhere, and here is no exception. It doesn't make Ghana any more or less dangerous than anywhere else, it just makes it victim to the same catastrophic life events people encounter at home. And just like everywhere else, these kind of life events send everyone reeling. 

 Festus has some serious injuries, but is not in the critical condition he was when the accident first occurred. His condition is hopeful, and for that we are all grateful. It goes without saying however, that seeing a friend hurt is never easy, and all of us interns were saddened. 

"What do you want to do when your contract is done with CBR?" I asked Festus one time in the CBR office before any of this happened. "I don't know." he said. "I just know I am not going to stay here forever oh. I have big dreams."  

And as I stood before Festus in the hospital, I remembered this conversation, and I asked Maxwell if I could pray for him. While I was unable to find words to articulate everything I wanted to I know the words in my heart were heard. I prayed for healing, for his family, and that his big dreams will come true. I continue to hope and pray that life in the “new normal” that comes after this kind of accident will be beautiful. 

And of course, before I left, I told Festus he needs to get better soon so I can cook him some Koko. 

1 comment:

Crazy White Mama said...

That is a beautiful account of your friendship with Festus and the concern his colleagues feel for him following his accident. I am so glad you prayed over him and really hope a meal of KoKo with Festus is in your future.