Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

24.6.13

Immunity

As I write this my home city of Calgary, and surrounding areas, sit partly underwater. Heavy rains and spring run off have combined to create the worst flooding the city has experienced in living memory. 75 000 people have been evacuated, main roads turned to rivers, and countless homes have been destroyed.

Today, Sandema feels like a safe-haven from the craziness that comes with a city in the state of emergency. And yet too, I have watched my News Feed fill with offers to help others, and I have been reminded of the se way in which Calgary is capable of rallying around its own, and the sense of community that is present in our city, especially in times of challenge. I am always proud to be Calgarian, but today especially. 

Ironically, Sandema is in the midst of fears of draught as the rains have been far less than usually occur by this time, and certainly less than the farmers need to care for their crops. On my way to work I ride past fields that haven't been planted, and others than have been planted on faith that the rains will come. And I recognize, yet again, that no place is immune to hardship. 

My thoughts and prayers to my family, friends, and neighbours, in Alberta.  

No comments: