Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

16.6.13

Homeward Bound!

Saturday afternoon, less than 48 hours after her surgery, Angelina was discharged from the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi. Though her lip is still swollen, it's evident the surgery has been incredibly successful! 

I'm so very grateful for the kind & talented surgeons who stayed after hours to operate on Angelina so she could have her surgery on Thursday. And I will forever be amazed at the dedication of her mother in caring for her over this week: a task that required her 24 hour-a-day presence at the hospital. One thing is for certain, Angelina is a well-loved little youngster. 

We spent most of the day traveling from Kumasi to Bolgatanga, and look forward to a short 2 hour bus ride to Sandema tomorrow. Our three day trip (A three day trip…quote Gilligan's Island) turned week-long adventure has been wonderful, tiring, and nothing short of a roller coaster. It all still feels very surreal. 

We will return to Kumasi for the July 3rd Cleft Clinic for a follow-up with the surgeons. Until then, Angelina and her mother will return to the village and I will return to work with CBR in Sandema. Katie and I will also begin the process of learning what the next steps are in an assessment for Angelina's eyes, and what the process is for getting her care for her vision needs. 



Angelina & her Mama outside KATH less than 48 hours after Angelina's surgery. 


Angelina post-surgery (still swollen, but SO beautiful!)

A kind of thanks...
I'm not sure I have proper words at this time to express to you how grateful I am for the outpouring of love and support I've been privy to witness this past week. Through your words of encouragement, prayers, and faithful giving, I have felt supported in my role in advocating for Angelina and I am personally, so very grateful. Most importantly, the way in which you have supported Angelina, a child whom none of you have ever met, has touched me immensely. Without the combined contributions of many of you from across the country, Angelina never would have made it to Kumasi, let alone had this surgery. Maybe someday I will find the words to express this thankfulness. Until then, I will simply say thank you.  

No comments: