Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

16.5.13

The 3 Year Visit

My first true update from Africa is a little bit overdue but, due to internet issues, I am hoping you'll accept that's it's better late than never. I have been blessed with the opportunity to spend the past week and a half in Burkina Faso. I have spent the majority of this time in Yako, reconnecting with Sheltering Wings, spending time with old & new friends, cuddling babies, and learning lots about what is happening in Yako these days.

One friend told me he knew at the beginning of the year I was coming this year to visit again. I asked him how he knew when I didn't even know at that time, and he told me it was simple. Three years ago he, and Edouard, had asked me when I would come back to visit. "Will you come next summer?" they asked. "No. I don't think so." I'd replied. They nodded. "What about in three years?". I smiled, and said "Yes. I will be here again in three years." And three years later I was reminded of this promise I had long forgotten, but still was blessed enough to be able to fulfil. 

All in all, my heart is so full of stories and wonderful moments from this visit that for one of the first times in all of my time in Africa I have no words to begin to describe it all. I'll leave you with a few photos (more photos on my photo blog) until I find words again. They're simply a sampling of a little bit of the Yako life... 

The Big Kid Yako Family (missing 3 kids). 

Spending time with old friends & cuddling babies. 

There were so many adorable little ones!  

Like these two. 

My pal Achille digs his new wheels. 

Visiting my family's sponsor child Fatimata and her family. 

Being silly with the big kids. 

Got to spend time with this remarkable woman. Love Mama Ruth!


Tomorrow I leave for Ghana. I hope to update here soon. Until then, I am travelling and getting settled in my Students for Development Internship in Sandema.  




No comments: