Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

24.7.11

africa is art & african art


i had another conversation today in which i was told 'africa is such an odd choice'. this means the person i was talking with didn't understand what would draw me there. usually this conversation makes me laugh. and try as i might to explain how i love it because for the past years it's been a part of my calling and in that africa has become a part of me, i couldn't get my point across. for this friend the notion of choosing to be in africa was as distant as africa itself.

and in that way i feel like africa is like a piece of art. 
you either get it, or you don't. it either draws you near or you can pass on it. and when you are drawn sometimes you can't explain to anyone else why you love it. it's indescribable. 

and just maybe that's part of the appeal of it too. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Perfectly said! I completely agree!

Kevin Kempe said...

This exact notion is what some days drives me crazy and others settles my heart.