Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

25.2.10

Happy Dance

I promised to not let my blog become reiteration of whatever news Ruth is posting on her blog, but, today I just can’t help myself from diving in the same direction!

When I read Ruth’s blog this morning I started doing a happy dance. (True story!)

Herman, a little boy that lives near Yako, finally has a place in school! Because Herman is blind he can’t attend the schools in Yako. It has been a long road of waiting for a place for Herman in school. (My understanding is it has been at least two years?) Finally, this year, a new school opened up in Ouahigouya!

Last year I had the opportunity to travel with Adiara to the school in Ouagadougou as we attempted to secure a place for Herman at the school. We discovered the greatest problem wasn’t a place at the school but a host family. He needed a family to take him in, care for him and bring him to school because he lives to far away from the school to live at home. In Ouahigouya the school has found Herman a host family.

On that same day I went with Adiara to visit one of our sponsor children, Yemba, in Ouagadougou who is deaf. She attends another school for the hearing

impaired. What I loved about the school was that students who are not hearing impaired also attend but everyone learns to sign! I can’t explain my amazement of walking through the courtyard of the school and seeing all the students signing to each other, while some sang and some skipped. It was truly beautiful.

Yemba also lives with a sponsor family. Her sponsor family has encountered great sadness in the past years but continues to love Yemba and care for her.

Here's a picture of Yemba and me during our brief meeting.


Praise God for His answer to prayer in Herman’s life! And pray for Herman as he adjusts to life in a new city, at a new school, with his host family. Pray for Herman’s family at home as they see Herman off to school.
Let’s pray for Yemba and her sponsor family. Pray for Herman as he begins his studies, Yemba as she continues them and for the students they will encounter in school.



No comments: