Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

26.8.13

Then and Now

Five years ago, before I ventured to West Africa for the first time, I could never have imagined what life would look like in 2013. I certainly didn't think it would involved spending 16+ months in Burkina Faso and Ghana. Three years ago, after I left Burkina Faso for the second time, I could never have imagined what it would be like to come back again. 

And on my third (or fourth? May feels like ages ago and yesterday) trip here I still can hardly believe this is the path I'm on. Last monday I finally arrived in Yako. I was welcomed by squeals from the tantines, a shriek from the girls, and lots of warm hellos from the boys. I settled in to the house and immediately felt right at home here in Yako. 

And this past week has held a huge range of experiences. And a lot of different emotions. 

Three years ago when I was here in Burkina some of us volunteers started building relationships with surrounding villages. On Tuesday I visited one of these villages again, this time with the mobile clinic that has been started there. And later that same day I returned to another to learn more about the Widows Basket program there. It was amazing to see how the work of Sheltering Wings has grown! 

In addition to opportunities to see how Sheltering Wings work has been growing, this past week has held many tickle fights with the toddlers, cuddles with the babies, philosophical discussions with Sara and Enock, card games with Achille and Aristide, hang-outs with Biba, and a once-in-a-lifetime kind of opportunity to see a very popular project on the ground (read: TOMS Shoes - more on that another day though!). My heart is full of many special moments. 

Five years ago I never could have imagined feeling so at home in a place so far away from "home". And I never could have imagined how much this place would shape and change me. What a treat it has been to be back.

More Yako updates to come...

No comments: