Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

11.2.11

21 Years Ago Today

Every year when February 11th rolls around my Mom says to me: "Do you know what happened x number  of years ago today?". 

This year x = 21. Do you know what happened 21 years ago today? 

I was born 21 years ago on February 12th. On February 11th my parents were on the way to the hospital to welcome me to the world, while the news reports about Mandela's release dominated the airwaves. 


It might have taken me until well into my teen years to 'remember' what happened February 11th, 1990 (or to simply even remember that my Mom reminded me of it every year) but, I eventually got on board.
The year I was in Burkina in February I sent a text home saying "Guess what happened 19 years ago today?!". All the way across the world I was still dead set on remembering the mother-daughter tradition. 

And every year I remember to thank my parents for not naming me Winnie in honour of the event (although they joked about it!). 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome!! We think Brittany Evangeline or Bennett Douglas Glen are much nicer names than Winnie and Nelson, even though we like to tease you that we should have called you the others!!