Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

27.9.10

Catching Breath

I have been home just over a month now.
Sometimes I can hardly believe it’s been a month and somedays it feels like it’s been so much longer. There’s been so much, and it’s so different, yet so the same... I wonder if I can describe it. Sometimes, as I think about Burkina, I feel like I need to catch my breath. 
Someone told me this summer there is a french saying that goes something like this: 
“When man is gone for a week he writes a book. When gone for a month he tells a story. When gone for six months he says nothing.” 
I don’t know that I can totally agree with this statement. However I wonder if the sentiment behind it holds an element of truth. The more time I spend in Burkina the more I struggle to find words to describe it. 
People always ask if I miss Burkina. 
The answer (i’m sure you’ve guessed) is everyday. 
But I also love this...because I know this is where I need to be right now. 

People always ask if I want to go back. 
The answer (i’m sure you’ve guessed) is of course. 
But I’m trusting that God will lead me in His time. 

2 comments:

joy said...

I have so loved reading your blog. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't click on it to see if there is something new from you. In some ways I feel like I know the inside heart of your journey. But I really know it's just a small glimpse into a very beautiful and complicated young woman. Thank you for sharing your journey. Thank you for your honesty and genuineness. And thank you for writing some more even though you are home. I hope you keep writing ... even if it's just for someone like me. It allows me into your life enough that I can continue to pray for you and continue to care about what happens to you and continue to read and see God's prints on your life. Consider me to be a secret prayer partner who is on the side lines of your life cheering you on. You are an amazing woman and I love who you've become. Keep writing. Some day it'll be a good book. Because that's the way I feel about reading your blog ... it's like reading a really good book and you get attached to the characters and it's always so sad when the book ends. I always want to know more. My prayers are with you and I love to see God's hand upon a young woman like you. :))

Brittany said...

Joy,
Thank you so much for your note of encouragement and your very very kind words.
I am SO blessed to have people like you backing me and supporting me.
Thank you SO much!