Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

20.7.10

on rain, corn and photos


The crops you see pictured are planted around our courtyard. Our kids, and some of our staff, have all taken small parcels of land to plant corn, peanuts, potatoes and beans. We have had one, or two good rains- but not enough to sustain the growing season. Now is the time when everyone waits, and prays, for the rain to come.

Last night, we all thought it would rain. The wind was right, the clouds were dark, the kids told me "we need rain." And then, the wind came, followed by a light sprinkle. The wind came back and the rain dissapeared. No rain that evening.

It's a funny thing, waiting for the rain. I am beginning to learn how the conversation goes:
I will notice the sky darkening and the wind picking up. Then I ask one of our kids if the rain is coming. If they say "no", then it never rains.
If they respond with "It might," I am hopeful.
If I press them for a definitive conclusion from 'it might' they'll say "I can't tell you". This is because, they don't want to be put in a situation in which they feel as though they've lied to me. If they say it will rain, and it doesn't, they said something that isn't true. Much better, to simply say "it's possible."

Sometimes I think, you have to wait for rain in Africa like you wait for everything else: it always comes, but on it's own time. Maybe, I should "patientez un peu" (be patient).

--------------------------
I have always loved when the kids borrow my camera. For me, as I look at what and who they’ve taken pictures of, I get a small glimpse into their world and their perspective. And, if nothing else, I love to see them so excited about learning to take pictures. Faischal took today's pictures of corn growing in our field.

No comments: