Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

15.4.09

Easter and Updates


Easter
(The picture on the left was taken Easter sunday at the orphanage. Liz Adiara and I are all wearing our Assemblee de Dieu outifts.)
We went to church both Saturday night and Sunday morning. Saturday night a group recited the bible verses in moore. They entered and excited singing- it was quite a beautiful little production. Sunday morning Liz and I decided to take Tinbnoma and Joseph with us to church since they don’t usually go. (Ibra went home with one of the tantines for the weekend so really the three oldest toddlers went to church!) We rode over on the motos and Tinbnoma looked like she didn’t know what to do- squished between Adiara and me she just looked around and around as we drove. Liz told me Joseph was laughing! Tinbnoma was great throughout the whole service. We actually had to quiet her down because she wanted to chat with us! Joseph did well until part way through the service and then he started crying. At that point he went and sat outside with Adiara.
It was a surprisingly short service. I think it started “on time” around 9:30 and ended somewhere around 12:00. We expected a much longer service for Easter. For the special day Liz and I ate both lunch and dinner with the kids. Normally they eat to two meals a day, but they had macaroni for lunch and riz gras for dinner. We killed our goat (we still have 3 sheep) and Social Action donated some meat so with both meals the children got real hunks of meat (the to sauce always contains ground dried fish, which has nutrients but isn’t the same..). Needless to say they were thrilled!Liz and I baked vanilla cupcakes for dessert and handed them out with dinner. And after dinner we put on a movie considering they didn’t have school the next day and we thought it would be fun.
My parents had sent me a package and I’d requested my favourite soccer movie of all time. Victory! Sylvester Stalone, Michael Cane and Pelé are the three biggest names in the movie. I can’t tell you how excited our kids were. First Sylvester Stalone’s character came on screen and all the boys ooohed and someone yelled “Rocky!” then Pelé came out. One of the boys didn’t stop going “Le Roi Pelé” every time he saw him... During the final match of the movie the boys were so excited you could have told me they were watching the quarter finals and Burkina was playing. Lazar did a dance after one of the goals. Three of them stood up to watch because they were so anxious they couldn’t sit still. When the team scored again several of them jumped up and down and hugged each other... I enjoyed watching them more than the movie!
A few brief updates: Osseus –the new child I mentioned last week has warmed up well to the other children his age at the orphanage. The three of them all speak French with eachother and although every once and a while we catch people speaking in mooré at him it is not the problem I expected it would be. For the most part the kids understand he doesn’t understand and speak with him in French. Howeves Osseus is a CP2 student which is the only grade our primary school does not have. He has a spot at a school just a few minutes away. However he refuses to go to school. We have been working with him, in conjuction with our social worker and the social worker that brought him to the orphanage. He must start attending school. Please pray he will find the courage to face the new school- as difficult as it. Please pray for patience for our staff and the staff at the school as they work with him to correct this.
I took Jule to his weigh in last Tuesday (the 8th) since it was across town I strapped him to my back and hopped on the moto with our gatekeeper. He had put on 0.4kg since his last weigh in and I was really pleased as were the nurses! However later in the week he started to get sick again, and this Tuesday he was hospitalized again. Please continue to pray for this little boy. He has a long, tough battle ahead.
Liz and I head to Djibo tomorrow. It is up north and in desert territory. I am looking forward to the adventure but praying for strength in the heat! Please pray for good health and safe travels on the roads.
God bless
A plus!
B

No comments: