Canada, Burkina Faso, Ghana and all the in-betweens

8.1.09

In Ouagadougou!

I finally arrived in Ouagadougou last night! As some of you may know my adventure getting here took a little longer than expected. My original flight path was Calgary-Montreal-Paris-Ouagadougou. But on Monday because of weather in Paris my Montreal-Paris flight was cancelled. Air france put me up in a hotel and I waited to get news of when i could have a flight. 1:00 in the afternoon tuesday my travel agent called and said she had me on a flight at 2:00 so I madly dashed to the airport! Luckily my flight actually left at 3:00. My new flight path was Calgary-Montreal-Toronto-Amsterdam-Paris-Ouagadougou. I missed the Toronto connection but waited stand by for a later flight and still made the same Paris-Ouagadou connection.
My bags unfortunately missed a connection somewhere along where the way and were not so lucky. We're hoping they'll come on the Air France flight that arrives Friday and one of the SIM or CMA runners can pick them up for me and we'll get them next week when we're back in Ouagadougou.
I was so blessed by God on this journey. It was so evident that he was in control of everything, i can't begin to tell the number of times I shouldn't have made a flight or someone went the extra mile to help make my life easier. When I lost my Visa card and then found it in pant leg?! Or when i needed to get to the airport and the shuttle driver offered to take me before the scheduled time...God was with me in every city on every flight.
Thank you all for your prayers!

This morning Liz and I went out to buy bagettes and peanut butter. I got my first real glimpse of the city. Yesterday after arriving we went for ice cream but it was dark and late so I didn't have a good chance to see everything. Today I realized Ouaga is everything I expected and nothing I expected. I'll try to explain. I've imagined what the people, sights and sounds would be like but it's not the same as being here. There are so many colours, different things to see. Nescafe shops, street vendors, children, men riding bikes, women getting water, (I saw women carrying baskets on their heads.) Things you might expect to see and so many things I didn't know to expect. Boys begging for money, but that will have to turn the money into someone and won't get to keep it- Liz suggets giving them peanuts or food instead of money so they have something to eat. One child today came out and shook my hand and Liz's hand as we were walking by!

Sheltering Wings has been waiting on a new car for quite some time as the truck Ruth is driving right now is wearing out. The new car may be ready later today or tomorrow, so Ruth is planning to stay in Ouaga in the hopes of be able to drive it back to Yako. The original plan was for us to drive back with Ruth as well but now are going to Liz, Hillary take the bus to Yako today. So next time I write I'll be able to tell you more about where I'll be living for the next 6 months.

"it be your will, Adonai, My God, to guide me in peace, and keep me from all dangers on the way, and bring blessing to the work of my hands, and return me home in peace."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.